Saturday, July 25, 2015

Empathy is lacking in this world.

Yes, we are people; born onto the same earth with the common goal of survival; made of animal cells arranged according to a highly complex human template; breathing the same, recycled air. Yes, we are special individuals; born into our own bodies made of relatively unique arrangements of DNA; given our own capabilities and fears; experiencing life differently from one another.

Life is difficult. The degree of difficulty varies. Our internal demons and external obstacles vary. Our thresholds for difficulty vary. Our resources and support vary.

I don't care if you think we're the same or different. What is important to me is that we empathize with one another.

I empathize with you, not because of what your struggles are, but because I know you struggle too.

I empathize with you, not because we share similar struggles, but because I know no one can experience your struggles.

Us struggling differently doesn't mean one of us has it easier and doesn't mean we are not worthy of the other's empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment