Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's never just one thing.

Enter away messageEverything is always because of everything else. That's what I believe. Call it the Butterfly Effect if you wish.

I think some of us want to believe things happen or things are because of one or two things just so it's easier to lay the blame. When you say it's because of everything, you can't lay the blame because then nobody believes you; you're blaming too much or too many. So you focus on the one, just for the sake of blaming.

Have you noticed? People like to point fingers.

It's a sad, sad world we live in.

I just finished reading Jonathan Kozol's "Still Separate, Still Unequal." I'm not sure how I feel about it. I haven't experienced anything he wrote about, but I can imagine much of it to be true. I've watched the movies based on true events. That's as close as I get.

I'm not going to explain the piece much if at all. You can find and read it yourself if you so choose. I never was good at explaining or staying on task haha. Anyway, Kozol's general point is that, despite the progressive Brown v. Board of Education case in 1954, several contemporary public schools have "resegregated" since then. He provides many statistics and demographics about different schools all over the US. Many inner-city schools have large black or Hispanic populations and tiny percentages of whites. One even down at <1%.>

There's more, but you get the idea.

So the reason I'm talking about this? I don't remember anymore. But I do wonder where a "formal" education is going to get our future generations. I mean, the ones without the money.

Anyway, I don't know. Is it right for us to blame just the schools, the government, or whichever group for these shortcomings? Maybe. But blaming them doesn't do much. It brings attention, but that's it.

We could say the poor schools don't get the good, effective education and materials because they're poor. Can't always get "handouts." But public schools are supposed to be supported by the government and the people. That's kinda the reason why we call them public schools.

I don't know what I want to say anymore. It's just I don't think we should blame people for trying to cope with what they're given (parents, teachers, principals, etc). Can't blame the white people for going to the richer, predominantly white schools. Socioeconomic circumstances must be considered.

We could say white people aren't trying hard enough to make us into a cultural melting pot. But why? They don't have to.

People do what people do. We can't just say, "Hey, we have to do things this way, or else."

You know what? I'm gonna stop. My opinions are swirling, and I can't keep 'em straight. Usually don't anyway haha. What I think I was originally trying to say is that we all want to blame someone for the problems in our lives or society. There's always someone who has to be blamed. I don't know why. I want to know why, but I'm afraid to know.

So for now, I'll settle with a simple hypothesis: We all have a superiority complex and/or inferiority complex. And I mean that in the psychological sense, not just the "common" sense.


I think I'm gonna make an entry about the "race issue" eventually. Because that's what I saw in Kozol's writing. It's about race. We always gotta bring up race. I bring up race too. We're all or mostly racist. Not sure I could say blind people can be racist. I've been conditioned to believe that racism has to do with skin color, and blind people can't see. So, hmm. Haha, so much for a thoughtful entry. Maybe next time. Probably not.

Oh, and I know: I say "probably," even though I don't like probability because probability is just numbers. I'm just forgetful/hypocritical/whatever, but does it matter? I'm not making arguments, so my fallacies, rationalizations, and whatnot don't matter or work against me :P Or so I'd like to believe, heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment