Sunday, July 1, 2012

I'm starting to remember my dreams...

Well, I remembered them the past few days when I woke up.

Today's dream involved the person who isn't talking to me right now (I'll call her Person). We were at the center, sitting next to each other (I was on her right) on the white couch with the brown cover. She was talking to everyone else but me. I just listened and nodded along with the conversation. Suddenly, Person said something to me. I was shocked, except I couldn't hear through my left ear. So I turned my head and asked her to repeat. She was laughed when she said it, and I got upset.

I woke up to my parents talking in the next room. It soon turned into an argument. I listened. What my dad said made sense. What my mom said didn't. She proceeded to deride his argument, essentially told him he was stupid for not seeing how she saw things, and shut him out. Reminiscent of "I don't have to listen to you if I don't like what I'm hearing."

I lay in bed and contemplated my dream and the argument happening next to my room. The first thought that hit me was "Person reminds me of my mom." Not that my parents' argument reminded me of the situation with Person, even though the situation with Person occurred way before this recent argument between my parents.

So I think I get it now. I get why I am still so angry with Person about the situation we're in. Even almost two weeks later. She doesn't act exactly like my mom, but her actions remind me of what I dislike in my mom.

They both stop listening when the conversation isn't favorable to them. They shut people up and shut them out. My mom yells and/or gives the silent treatment. More often than not, she yells and rants for hours and hours. But she does give the silent treatment, which isn't any better or worse than her yelling. Either way, I can't tolerate her attitude and her treatment of me. Person, on the other hand, is giving me the silent treatment. Granted, I told her she didn't have to talk to me. But I also told her I wanted us to talk but I would wait for her to talk to me. Despite what I said, I still hoped that she would've talked to me anyway. But no, she said she needed her distance from me. (Maybe this is a self-serving thought, but if anyone should take distance from someone, it should have been me getting my space from her)

I was ok with her getting her space until she started posting her Facebook statuses about me again. Well, not about me. She talked at me, but not to or with me. And this is just like my mom, even if it's not as aggressive as my mom's words. It still hurts. I am still a target. I would prefer if Person wrote those statuses, copied and pasted them into a Facebook message, and sent them to me. But alas, she wants to ignore me. Yet, this isn't ignoring, is it?

Ugh. I should just send her one more message to let her know what I've been thinking. Except that wouldn't be respecting her need for space from me. But this isn't taking space away to think of what she can say to me. She's made it pretty clear in her statuses that she won't try to talk to me. And that's what hurts. That's what hurt the first time; she didn't talk to me. I told her that. And now she's doing it again, and she thinks it's supposed to help me. How is repeating how you hurt me the first time any better the second time?

I'm not going to send her a message because I don't want to tell her what to do. She needs to grow up and talk to me. And be honest while she's talking to me. If she tells me she can't be honest with me, then we can't be friends. Because honest friends are the only ones I want.

I generally don't have any criteria for my friends, but here are some basics I should state: You should be somewhat nice. You definitely should be honest, especially about any problems you have with me. Don't lie to me about things I should know! You should be as blunt as you can be with me. You don't give up on our friendship at the first sign of trouble.

I don't want to bring this up anymore. I know this will eventually blow over whether she talks to me again. Right now, we're not friends. I'm hoping she'll give our friendship another chance, but she has to work for it too. She has to take the first step to rebuild our friendship. I took the first step in improving our friendship when I offered a chance to talk about our problems. She refused, and she left me hanging. So our next conversation, if there is to be one, is about how to become friends again.

Waiting, waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment