Wednesday, November 7, 2012

San Jose Minimum Wage 2012

So the votes have been counted. We're going to have a new low: $10 an hour.

Congratulations, Myers-Lipton and the SJ Living Wage Campaign.

Now, I feel like it's going to be even more difficult for me to find a minimum-wage, full-time job. But anything can happen, yeah? Like maybe I'll move to another city to find a job. We'll see.

Initially, I was behind increasing the minimum wage to $10 an hour because it sounded great; more people at the bottom can afford things they need. But soon enough, I realized changing the minimum wage doesn't change much. It doesn't encourage job creation, but it also doesn't discourage it. If your costs go up or profits go down, you increase your prices to make up for it. If you make more money, you spend more money. But if prices go up, you have to spend more money than you used to anyway.

Prices go up with the costs.

Why can't everything be free? And we all just do as much as we can to contribute to the creation and freeness of everything haha. That would be nice. But human beings can be lazy, selfish, thoughtless, greedy, etc etc. Yeah yeah yeah... It was just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment