Saturday, December 29, 2012

I haven't had insomnia in a while.

I felt so wired in bed. I think I got maybe two hours of sleep this morning. My brain wouldn't stop thinking and planning. Every time I stopped to try to go to sleep, the lull wouldn't last long. I think I managed to drift off a handful of times, but each time I would wake up thinking things over. I tried listening to music, but that didn't keep me asleep for long.

Then at probably 6 in the morning, one of my cousins in Vietnam called Mother's cell phone. And she was awake talking for an hour. I don't know what the conversation was about, but usually when we get a call from Vietnam, it's not good news. I'll have to ask Mother about it later when I'm less tired.

So what was I thinking about from 11pm to 8am, when I finally clocked out for longer bit? Just trying to plan everything for the beginning of 2013.

Yesterday, Mother, D, and I had a conversation about me starting work and moving out of Mother's house. Mother has Section 8 housing. I have to move out before or as soon as I start working. We have to notify Housing Authority of the change in household composition within 10 days. There are forms and verification of my leave to submit in those ten days. I also need to get a bank account, so my employer can pay me with direct deposit rather than a mailed paycheck. Because, apparently, if Mother receives my paychecks, that is immediate proof that I still live with her even when I've obviously moved out -_- But I can't get the bank account now because I still live with Mother and we would have to notify HA of my account. Then they'd possibly increase her rent.

So essentially, I just need to do all these things the day before I start working. Except I don't know when I start yet. And I'm not sure how many days' notice I'll get in the first place.

All simple tasks to do. Just so many. I'm sure I've forgotten a few already. I should write these things down. Mother is freaking out because she's afraid we won't follow procedure properly and she'll lose her Section 8 -_- I just sat there, thinking, "Maybe it's about time you do, since you keep panicking about it. I don't think it's healthy for you to stay on this program." Too bad I can't say it. I really think living with Section 8 stresses her way more than it should.

Anyway, other things plaguing my mind: strict budgeting and saving plan. Commute from downtown SJ to workplace is 16 miles. Round trip would cost me about a gallon and a half of gas. Roughly 7.5 gallons a work week. That's more than half my tank. 30ish dollars a work week. Need to consider weekend driving. For now, let's say 120 a month for gas. (My budget plan allows for 150 a month, so I'm good here.) I think for the first month or so after I move out, I'll limit my weekend driving to when I need to go somewhere. Otherwise, I'll bum a ride and chip in for gas :P

Initially, when I move out, I'm planning to live with Shiva and Killol for a while. Until I can save up enough money for ideally first two months' rent and security deposit for a room of my own. So I'm thinking maybe a thousand dollars. Preferably a room within ten miles of my workplace. That limits me to places in Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Milpitas, and north and west San Jose. I looked on craigslist last night just to get a general idea of what I would want to look for when the time came. Ignoring all the ads for guys looking for female roommates with benefits, there seems to be a good amount of rooms for the price range I'm looking for. I don't ask for much. I just need a place to store my stuff, to sleep, and to shower.

Ah, so much stuff to think about. When I move somewhere closer to my workplace, I'll save on my average mileage and gas during the work week. But it also means that I'd have a longer drive to see my friends.

Mm, so since I'll make ten dollars an hour for forty hours a week, I'm assuming I'll make seven dollars an hour after taxes. (I'm not actually sure how much tax will be taken out yet, but I hopefully am overestimating the tax.) So I'll make 280 a week. I told Shiva I was willing to pay a week's worth of pay as my rent. That leaves 840 for the rest of the month. Take out the 150 for gas, and I'm left with 690. Ideally, I want to save 500 a month, so that I'll move out of Shiva and Killol's apartment sooner. That basically leaves me with 190 for spending money. Less than fifty dollars a week. I could live off of that if I spend wisely.

Mother offered to provide me with lunch, but that just wastes my gas. A gallon just to go to her place and back to mine. I think I'll stick to just visiting her on the weekend. Plus, I don't want her to think I can't live on my own without her. She doesn't think Brother can do it, since he comes home every few days and asks to borrow money and to have some things to use, like detergent and shampoo. I don't plan to do that. I plan to move out and rely on myself. I'll only ask Mother for help when I'm in a really tight spot. But even then, I might just turn to friends because I know they won't hold it over my head or against me.

Let's see. I still have about 300 dollars left from the summer. Will probably spend about forty of it this weekend. Leaves me with 260. Then we have a change jars. I'm planning to ask Mother if I can cash in the change and put the money toward my rent/savings. I'm hoping there's at least a hundred dollars in there.


I know, this is a lot of stuff that's not important to you. But I need to put it down somewhere, or else I might not be able to sleep tonight.


When I start work, I'll most likely be working from 5:45am to 2:15pm every day. Yay, morning! I'm so excited. This means I'll probably get up at 4 or 4:30 in the morning and leave by 5. It also means I'd get home around 3. Exercise, eat, shower by 4:30pm. Maybe visit some friends at SJSU. Bed by 9:30pm. Start the cycle over. Yay, routine! I can't wait to start this routine. It will be a nice change from the past six or seven months.


Yes, I know, I know. I can't help it. When great change is imminent, I start to overthink. I start having ideas about what I want to do to be prepared. I like being prepared. Mother keeps trying to butt into my plans, so I'm not making plans. I just have ideas of plans. I hope they come to fruition. I hope everything works out.

Good song (or at least the chorus) that perfectly fits my mood right now: "Tell Me A Story" by Phillip Phillips :)


I feel so jittery, and I've had no stimulants. Not enough sleep. Still thinking too much. Need to stop. I've probably forgotten half the things I thought of last night. Consequences of insomniaaa!

Ok. I should go. But I'm excited! I'm surprised I was able to do math in my head last night/this morning. Yeah. Ok, going now.

No comments:

Post a Comment