I just wanted to say that^. It's true. Whether it's in the law or not. You can't force someone to stop thinking or believing something. It's in their head, not yours.
By now, we've all pretty much heard about the controversy about Miss California, or Carrie Prejean. She said that she believes marriage is between a man and a woman. And now people are ragging on her. Still. All because Perez Hilton asked a simple question.
The idiocy in this is not that he posed that question. Hilton has the freedom to ask anything he wants. The idiocy is in the fact that he asked a question that basically requires an opinion for the answer and when he heard the opinion, he and a lot of other people freaked out.
People should not ask for opinions if they can't handle different opinions. And calling Ms Prejean a bitch is not handling it. Criticizing her, insulting her = not handling it.
Supporters of same-sex marriage are always saying we should allow the marriages to be legal because it's equal and shows our tolerance and respect for people. But whenever someone (especially someone famous) says she is against gay marriage, the supporters are the first to antagonize her. Why? You're just dragging yourself down to the level of bashers. You become the bashers.
Calling Prop 8 supporters haters and hypocrites, but we're not much better than them if we do this kinda shit.
Reminds me of the saying: Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
But apparently, this advice has come a little too late.
But anyway, I think it's despicable that people are bashing Ms Prejean for having her own opinion. Just because she's from "liberal California" doesn't mean she has to present a liberal opinion. Yeah, I don't agree with her opinion, but that doesn't change my opinion of her as a person.
What's my opinion of her as a person? I don't have one. I don't know her. So I wouldn't have an authentic opinion. She's a celebrity. You don't know celebrities unless they're actually your friends in real life. Only then should you be able to make your own judgments. What you see on TV isn't always reality, yeah?
Mm, so I was reading an article about how both pro- and anti-gay groups have been angry-calling the pageant about Miss California. Pro-gay people have been asking, "Why haven't you taken away her title?" Anti-gay people have been wondering, "Why are you distancing yourself from Miss California's words?"
Both sides are taking this too far. Nowhere in the rules does it say a contestant cannot hold a controversial point of view. Nowhere in the rules does it say the pageant must support any point of view. People need to get over themselves.
I find it funny that famous people aren't allowed to have their personal opinions even if they go against the expected "norm," like celebrities from California must support gay marriage. While I am grateful for the straight support from the celebs, they don't have to support anything they don't want to.
If you ask them if they support and they say no, then they said no. Big whoop. You're gonna hate on them now?
Gah, we need to stop stereotyping people and their thoughts. People on all sides of the issue need to calm down, clear their minds, and talk nicely. Compromise is always possible. Reaching it just depends on if anyone can see the possibility. It's either compromise or we all go around torturing and killing each other until the only people alive agree with each other. But that's not a happy ending. Just a lot of blood on our hands.
I don't know. I think we could be more mature than this. I have hella friends who support gay marriage. Some who don't care. And then some who oppose gay marriage. I've had some of them tell me, "Hey, I know you're gay, but I don't support gay marriage. I don't think it's right." And I'll reply, "Yeah? That's cool. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Doesn't mean we can't be friends and talk about it. As long as you don't say stuff like 'gays don't deserve to be married,' we're good."
For the most part, my friends say it's not that they don't think we deserve to get married. It's more like it just doesn't seem right. We deserve something else, just not marriage. Yeah, hearing that kinda hurts, but it's all right. I'm a big kid. I can handle it. People could argue "separate and equal" stuff, but that won't always change a person's mind.
If I had the power to resolve this, what would I do? I don't know. I want everyone to be happy, but life doesn't work that way. Even if everyone could be happy, there's always a chance someone doesn't like the fact that everyone else is happy haha. But anyway, if I could, I would make people see and feel what the other sides see and feel. Experience life in a different way. Experience what others experience. Not like, "Oh, when I call him a fag, he feels hurt." More like the feeling hits you like it hits him. Everyone acts and reacts differently. Not everyone knows what it's like to feel embarrassed, hurt, or brave. At least not in the way that others do.
We can only imagine.
Anyway, after I make everyone experience multiple realities and such, I'd leave them alone and hope we can all agree on something. I wouldn't just zap gay marriage into law. That's too easy. I want people to think more... I don't know the word, but more something. For everyone. If I could, I would just put more empathy into people on all sides of any issue. It's what we all lack. It's why we're so prone to anger and outrage. We only feel what we feel.
Ok, I feel like I'm saying nothing right. I need to talk to someone, to bounce ideas off of someone. But I'm gonna eat and try some homework instead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment