I'm not really sure what I wanna write about today, but I wanna write about something.
Ooh, and I really did spend the past two nights working on my Poli Sci essay :D Usually, when I say I'll work on something over a period of days, I actually only spend half that time doing it at the last minute. So I'm proud of myself. And the 47-page reading wasn't too bad, but I didn't finish it haha. But I finished my essay at midnight last night and submitted. I don't think I analyzed the case well, but it's over. So I'm happy.
I still have my English essay and four EDCO assignments to work on. I can do it. I'm gonna try to do half of my EDCO homework tonight. I'm just waiting for my headache to ease up a little bit before I try.
Updated Important dates:
English Final -- 5/9 (in TWO days)
English Essay 5 -- 5/5 *I actually wrote down the wrong date (it's not 5/12), but it doesn't matter because I got sick.
Last Day of Instruction -- 5/13
Anth Final Review Session -- 5/14
EDCO Final -- 5/15
Anth Final -- 5/18
So I haven't talked about any random topic lately. So self-centered, I know :P haha.
Even though, in my Poli Sci class, we've been reading and discussing legal issues, such as illegal immigration (today) and marijuana legalization. Fun stuff. People have been giving speeches on this stuff in class too. My speech on physician-assisted suicide went better than I thought. 190 out of 200 points. I thought my speech went to fast and stuff, but I guess not. Whew. I pretty much only got docked points for referring to my notes too much. Couldn't help it. I didn't know my speech because I got sick the week that I had planned to use to memorize it.
Anyway, in my English class, we were talking about our in-class essay (prep for the Saturday final) from Tuesday. And I started doing the crossword page notes thing again. I haven't done that in a while haha.
But yeah, here are some of my random thoughts:
So our prompt included a bit (by Karl Palachuk) about Socrates, his being sentenced to death for living an "examined life"/commiting heresy, and our modern-day avoidance of living the "examined life." There was also a second part (by Sherry Turkle) about technology, particularly the Internet, and its influences on children's intrapersonal and interpersonal skills. Apparently, there were both good and bad influences, but I only saw the mention of the bad. The good influence part totally didn't catch my attention -_- but hey, I still got an A- haha.
Aanyway, so children who play RPGs and use chat rooms are more likely to use the Internet as a refuge from the real world and experiment with their identity/personality ("good" influence). However, many do not develop their "authentic selves" ("bad" influence). They're so used to making up stories about their characters and pretending to be someone else online, and so they don't know how to be themselves in real life with real people. That's what Turkle says.
Hmm, yeah, so my thoughts were flowing during class when we were discussing the prompt, but right now, I'm not sure what I should say haha.
Online self vs. "real" self? Good or bad?
I've played MMORPGs, and I don't have too hard of a time interacting with people. When I do have a hard time, it's not because I'm online too much. I'm just too reserved -_- haha. And I think that people can usually distinguish between fantasy and reality. I mean, there are some people who don't realize that people can't die and die again in real life. But for the most part, people should learn this.
Those who say that the Internet has predators believe it is dangerous. The Internet is not dangerous. The people who use it can be. The things people do online can lead to dangerous things. But the Internet itself is not dangerous. You don't die just because you go online. What makes the Internet seem dangerous is when the online world overlaps the real world. Online predators are dangerous when you meet them, not when you talk to them through the screen.
Ah, so Prof Williams told the class that most of us didn't get both the good and the bad in the second part. I think it's because of the "but." Turkle put the good part first and then said "but..." the bad part haha. And I usually think the stuff you say after the "but" is stronger. So the negative stuck to me and the good just flew over my head. I hope I don't do that on the final haha. You, remember to reread your prompts while you're writing just in case you misread something. It will save you :P
Mm, so I didn't say what I was really thinking about that^, but I don't know how to say it -_- haha. So something else.
Let's talk about what defines a person. Hmm. So what defines a person? Everything, nothing, whatever.
I think everything counts. Every little detail, every big detail. You never know which details are real, but even the falsehood of the details tells you something about a person.
But people shouldn't assume they know a person through and through just because of what they observe. Remember: You never know what you don't know. You only know what you might know. Basically, nothing is ever for sure. So maybe you can't really define a person after all. Because who really knows the truth about anyone else? haha Some people don't even know much about themselves. Like me :P
Hmm, I can't focus on any of these topics now -_- This sucks. I really wanted to put down my opinion about these things. Now, it's just gone.
Oh, and sometimes first impressions really suck. If you're the HR person for a company and an applicant walks into the room with torn and dirty clothes on, I don't think you should assume that he's not a good applicant. Yeah, he may be an unorganized, lazy worker. But appearances can't always tell you everything. Yeah, you're supposed to look good for an interview. But hey, maybe he did look good when he left the house, and then something happened to him on the way to the interview. He should have went home and rescheduled the interview? Maybe he was so close to the interview that he decided to take a chance and just go to the interview. Determination, yeah?
I just don't think we should let first impressions ruin things too easily because it might be wrong. At least try to get the facts first.
I don't know why. I just want to give people the benefit of a doubt when I can. I guess that's why people think I'm too nice. I think people are idiots, but I give them the benefit of a doubt. I'm just cool like that hahaha.
Hmm, first final this Saturday. Wonderful. Just wonderful. But hey, only 3 days of school left, 6 class sessions.
I hope I write well on Saturday. Please let it be a comprehensible prompt haha. Relatively simple XP Just enough so that I can make a good connection to it. I'm kinda afraid that I won't understand anything. I usually get some kinda headache around the time of some big essay writing thing. I have a headache now -_- I hope it goes away, and I can think clearly.
Oh, so Prof Williams gave us advice for Saturday haha. One of it is to imagine our classmates in our head, bouncing ideas off of each other. "Kinda like schizophrenia" haha. I think that's kinda like a dissociative identity disorder too haha. But yeah, Prof Williams was just encouraging insanity today haha. It was funny really.
Gosh, I'm gonna miss being in her class. She really does remind me of Mrs Thomas. Haha I'm always happy when I leave a class missing my teacher. That means we connected somehow haha (: We need to connect to our teachers in some way.
Ah, ok. Enough with trying to get my thoughts out. I feel like there's a plug in my brain today ): I have a lot of thoughts piling up, but they're not coming out. Maybe I need to call a brain plumber XP Hopefully, my brain will be unclogged by Saturday. That would be wonderful. Earlier would be awesome too because I've got quite a bit of homework to catch up on. Yay.
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment