Friday, April 16, 2010

Of Corpse!

This morning, I went to campus to watch "Of Corpse!" with Shiva. It's a zombie musical put on by Company One (an SJSU musical theatre ensemble). Most of the songs it used were from some famous musicals, such as "Altar Boyz" and "Rent." They also had a song by the band Queen ("Somebody to Love"), which I absolutely love. Anyway, the musical's plot pretty follows this group of recently awakened zombies who have to come to terms with being undead. They have to figure out how to accept themselves and how to not be lonely.

Btw, yay! I have a list of musicals to watch. I shall have a (movie) musical marathon as well as a horror marathon this year :P People need to tell me if they wanna watch with me and if they have any movies to add to the marathons.

Back to "Of Corpse!" The performers were really good. The characters Leon (the bad ass, sensitive biker, played by Ryan Millena) and Fern (the geek, played by Stacey Hamilton, who idolizes the pop star) were my favorite :) I found it funny that the character Britney (Crystina Robinette) was an obvious reference to a famous pop star. And I think Carrie (Jenna Bernard) probably was a reference to the horror movie character of the same name as well. I don't know if any of the other characters were based off of anyone else.

I thought it was cool that the musical incorporated some tap dancing and what I assumed to be interpretive dancing. No matter, it all looked really good. The use of songs from other musicals was pretty creative too. Who knew you could take a song like "Take Me Or Leave Me" from Rent and change the meaning without changing most of the words? Good skills. Though, I have to say the first performer for this song (the character was Britney, I think) didn't hit it quite as strongly as I would have liked (was kinda flat to me), but it was still enjoyable.

What else? What else? Oh yeah, I have to say that the guy who played Dr Seymore (Vinh Nguyen) looked quite a bit like Alex D haha. I couldn't get that thought out of my head until toward the end when a emotional connection was implied between Dr Seymore and Leon :P

There were several other characters, but I'm rushing so I won't go into further detail. Just want to say that they are all very talented people.

And if you're in the area, you should go watch the musical. They're still performing tomorrow and next weekend at like 7 PM, I think. Only $15. Two hour show. Pretty good stuff :)


After the musical, Shiva and I headed back to her room to chill for a bit. Then to a Q&A panel training, headed by Drew H and Elaine D. How to introduce oneself to an audience and how to deal with hostility. I won't be on any panel any time soon, but always good to learn new things, yeah? Yeah.

When that was done, Shiva, Billy N, Crystal N, Karishma B, Matt C, Thien V, Ton W, and I headed outside with the intention of going to buy food. But we stopped by the Breaking the Silence event first. Not that many people there sadly. But I took quite a few free things :P A t-shirt (yay free t-shirts, way to save money!), two buttons (one says "it's like, she's like, he's like, they're all like, GAY" and the other says "Be careful who you hate... it could be someone you LOVE"), a small rainbow ribbon, a rainbow flag (Shiva, or rather Parker, stuck it on my backpack, but it is now hiding in a drawer until I go to Pride), a small booklet with coming out stories inside, and some snacks.

Stayed at the event for a lil while. There was loud music playing too. Eventually, Shiva and I went back up to her dorm to chill, eat PB&J sandwiches, and talk :P From the living room, I had to literally drag her to her actual bedroom so that she could start organizing it XP That was interesting. I've never dragged anyone to do anything before. But yeah, she kept saying she needed to clean her room, so I made her go do it. Even the chair she had been sitting on had to be sacrificed (it flipped over) to get her to her room.

At 18h00, Shiva went to her QTIP officers' meeting. We watched shirts get printed for a lil bit in one of the rooms in the BB Building. Then I was going to go home, but Matt C pushed me into the officers' meeting -_- So I stayed for that.

Ahh, I hope I can go to the bonfire next Saturday and the Drag Show and Q&A conference at the end of the month. So many things I wanna go to D: They're mostly free or cheap. I've been spending money too often these past two weeks -_- Need to saaave.

Anyway, I actually headed home relatively early today O: Left campus around 19h20. I left campus on a Friday before dark. When's the last time I did that, really? haha. I mean, Shiva invited me to go watch "Kick-Ass" with her and her friends, but Mother was already on my case about being on campus all day. So I had to say no ): I really really wanna see "Kick-Ass." But I suppose I should actually wait till it comes out on DVD to save myself some money XP I've seriously been spending money too often. The costs are slowly adding up.


Mm, yeah, so I'm home, procrastinating again. But I shall work hard tomorrow because I have an essay due this next week. Also my last midterm on Monday in AAS, for which I will also be writing another essay soon enough. Four weeks of classes left and two weeks of finals. Crazy fast this semester's been.


Hm, what else? Is there anything else I wanted to say? Hmm... Oh, Shiva gave me one of those Pon and Zi prints :D Ahaha I remember when I used to go to this website just to look and read through all of them. Images 11, 16, 17, and 18 are some of my top favorites :3

Anyway, yeah, fun stuff. Gonna go to bed early tonight. Hopefully wake up early tomorrow and get some stuff done quick.


Maggie, you still need to talk to me about the Disneyland thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment