Monday, March 2, 2009

Human stereotype?

Sometimes, I feel like giving up on life. Other times, it feels like I already have. I think I've given up on people in general, but not individually or even collectively.

What's the generalization/stereotype of a human being? There isn't one. Is there one? Is there many? Why?

When you tell people to think of a human being, what do they imagine? Obviously, "human being" is very vague, but this leaves room for us to see what other people see: A man? A woman? White? Black? Mexican? 10-year-old? 60-year-old? Clothes? No clothes? Tall, short, or "average"? Skinny, fat, muscular? Smooth or scarred? Weak or strong?

When I hear human, I imagine a thin, white male, standing at 5'10", in his 20's, wearing a polo and jeans. Short dark hair. Dark eyes. I stop at that. What am I supposed to imagine? A typical human. What's typical? Nothing's typical.

No one represents the human race, yet we all do. How's this possible?

What do we imagine when we think "animal"? Dogs, cats, horses, fish, birds, lions, elephants, pigs, etc. Are we so arrogant as to hold ourselves higher than what we really are? "Humans and animals..."

Humans are animals.

We can prove it genetically, behaviorally, and in many other ways, I'm sure. Yet, we see ourselves in such a better light than we do animals. "Humans are more evolved." Pfft, what an ego! Humans are no more
evolved than dogs or bacteria. The Theory of Evolution shows that we all descended from the same first being whatever that was. All species have evolved over the same amount of time through different changes. We can see that we're not as tiny or fluid as bacteria, but our ancestries have survived through the same amount of time.

We're all as evolved as can be at this point. And there's little doubt that there will be more change in all species in the future. You never know. Bacteria might become the most complex and intelligent living creature on Earth in a few hundreds of thousands or millions of years.

Where the hell was I going with this?

I don't like that some people assume human beings are just the shit. Why are we so great? Because we think so. Chyeah, right. For all we know, dogs and cats are really incognito and studying us when we don't pay attention to them. We don't know. We could really just be that simpleminded. We make our assumptions and are happy with that.

Maybe we should just be happy with what we think we know and leave it at that. It's worked out rather well for some people.

Ok, I'm going to stop rambling. I can't keep this up anymore -__-

No comments:

Post a Comment