Saturday, August 8, 2009

Let's start with generosity. Not really.

There are three people: a homeless man with no money, a man who has a million-dollar salary, and a woman whose savings is $1.75. The millionaire sees the homeless man and gives him a ten-dollar bill. The woman then sees the homeless man and gives him $1.75. Which person was more generous?

I remember my childhood friend, Yvonne Luong, asked me this question when we were in the fourth grade. I got it wrong. I still think about this question from time to time.


I spent much of today talking to D. I talked to him about family, my gripes and whatnot. Stuff like how Brother takes after Mother. Their materialism. Their extravagance. Their self-importance. Their controlling and possessive ways. Their inability to listen, to really listen.

Somehow, D and I ended up talking about temperaments and religion. Calm versus anger. Buddhism. Mother is angry; Brother is angry. I try to stay calm, keep my anger to myself, reveal it in less explosive ways. In public, D and I give every religion equal attention. In private, we exalt Buddhism.

In Buddhism, we don't need a god or any supernatural beings really. D and I prefer the pragmatism of Buddhism. It isn't even considered a religion by some, which is fine by us.

I was going to elaborate on religion in this entry, but I'm really tired from talking with D haha. Oh, and obviously, our view of Buddhism/religion doesn't necessarily match that of other religious folks.


Other than all that, today, my family and I went to look at Nissan Muranos (still not sure how to pronounce it). Mother has changed her mind and is willing to forego buying the Avalon to purchase a black/black Murano instead. Yay.


Hmm, maybe my next entry will emphasize my religious perspective. Seriously, I'm not really a religious person, but I do find pride in being a Buddhist. Not a denominational Buddhist (not theraveda, not mahayana, not any of those) but one who follows her own ideal religion. Yes, I pick and choose the parts I believe, but c'mon, who doesn't already do that? We already choose (or don't choose) our religions. So why not choose the parts of the parts of our lives, mm?

Anyway, yeah, next entry, if I remember, Religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment