Saturday, December 26, 2009

"The Chumscrubber"

Haven't really done anything today. Woke up at 11h30, even though I went to bed at 23h00 last night. Of course, I didn't fall asleep right away. Maan, I don't know what's been going on lately, but my sleeping pattern is just not stable. Good thing I'm on break. I've got another four and a half weeks to work it all out.

Minimal interaction with the family today. I tried, but I had nothing to say, except to inform Mother that I will be driving to the Great Mall in Milpitas with Harrison on Monday to sell a textbook. Yeah. Seriously, I'm pretty sure that's all I said to her today. Well, she tried to tell some joke about how I have to take care of the family when I'm older, and I replied, but I honestly did not find that joke funny.


Anyway, I watched "The Chumscrubber." It's supposed to be an Indie movie, I guess. I like it. 8/10. I'd give it a 9, but the ending isn't typical, ideal, or forgettable. Haha I don't know how to explain what I'm thinking. Something about closure.

The film has a couple of actors that I know of and/or like in it: Glenn Close, Jamie Bell, Camille Belle, Allison Janney, and Ralph Fiennes. Though, Mr Fiennes will always be Francis Dolarhyde to me XD And it seems that he also plays Voldemort now :O I did not know that.

Back to the movie... It's satire, but it made me sad haha. A kid, Troy, who lives in a upper middle class neighborhood, commits suicide. This movie focuses on the people in his life after his death... Even though the characters are all upper middle class folks, anyone could relate to the movie. I'd like to think so.

Ah, I don't wanna give anything away. I want you to watch the movie first, but it makes me think a lot of things. About people. That I want to write about -sigh-

Hmm, I'll just say we ignore people a lot because it's easy. Sometimes, we distract ourselves so much that we don't realize how far we've displaced ourselves from reality. In the movie, there's a kid named Charlie Bratley, who's mistakenly kidnapped. His mom Terri is preoccupied about her upcoming wedding. She comes home and calls for Charlie several times, but he doesn't answer because he's not there. She goes up to his bedroom door and knocks, asking him to reply. She just keeps talking to him through the door, assuming that he's angry at her. Her husband-to-be comes home, and she stops trying to talk to Charlie. She lets herself get distracted. Eventually, she notices that she hasn't seen her son in a few days, but she just assumes that he's avoiding her because of the wedding or whatever. She never checks his room. She never opens the door because she wants to assume that everything is all right. She's goes on worrying about her wedding.

I don't know about you, but I would never want to leave someone alone like that. If I had a kid who was mad at me, I would at least make sure that I saw him every day. Just for a lil bit, to know that he's still there. I don't ever want to let myself get that distracted from anyone in my life. If I do, Someone smack me, please. Makes me think of Troy's mom, her progress through the movie and the realization she comes to at the end...

Ahh, there's so much more I want to say. But I say you should watch the movie because I think it's a good movie :P


And just so you know, how I rate the films I watch is more by feeling than by any set standards. Sometimes, I rate based on the message of the movie. Sometimes, I rate based on the graphics, the story, the characters alone, how often the movie makes me cry, etc etc. Maybe the movie was just purely entertainment with no meaning. It varies. So you know, I don't really compare movies. Aiyah, what am I saying? ... Movies that I really like just resonate with me in some way. And the ratings I give to movies sometimes seem like too much or too little for the weirdest reasons, but it's just how I think XP

Like, this movie, I really like. But I'm pretty sure most of my friends probably wouldn't choose to watch this movie. I dunno. I just feel none of my friends watch movies the way I do. Well, obviously not. We're all different... Again, I don't know how to explain what I'm thinking. I'm just being strange :P haha. It's just a good movie in my opinion. I'm sure some people would say it's a lame attempt at yada yada yada. I might agree, but I still enjoyed the movie. I dunno, it just works with me. Plus, it made me cry twice haha. Movies that make me cry are usually pretty good haha. Or the writers/directors just know how to get me XP


Yeah, watch the movie. I want to be able to talk to someone about this movie -shrug- Keep in mind that it is supposed to be partly satirical, and some of the things that the characters do will make you ask, "Wtf are you on," "Why would you do/say that," or just "Why?" Even if you end up not liking the movie, at least enjoy what you can, yeah? That's how I like to think ^_^

So if you do watch the movie, talk to me, tell me what you think. I'd like to know. Maybe I'll find out I'm not the only one who thinks the way I do, hahaha...

No comments:

Post a Comment