A sarcasm mark, that is. As convenient as that would be for online conversations, I wouldn't spend money on it. I wonder how long it would take for the symbol to catch on.
Eh, I like letting people believe I'm being serious when I'm not -nods- It's usually funny when people think I'm actually as bad as I pretend to be >_> haha...
Anyway, I finished the second half of Philosophy Made Simple today. I actually got through this half much more quickly than I did the first half yesterday.
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not sure why. Then again, I'm never really sure of much...
So there's a part in the story where Rudy realizes he's in love (pages 196-97). Or maybe it's infatuation (I forgot the page numbers for this part). No matter, I know how he feels, for the most part. I've kinda done the same things he does (all in my head). Imaginary conversations, doubtful connections, yada yada yada. Makes me wish life really were simple.
The "Nirvana" chapter (pages 206-17) is definitely a good chapter. Especially with the part about happiness and love, moha, moksha. It's kinda pessimistic, but I'm going to say it's somewhat realistic:
"It's not the kiss but the moment just before the kiss that's the moment of real happiness."
"That's because the kiss... entails disappointment. Always. Inevitably. Without exception. Life is a painful process. Youth grows old, love grows cold. The journey is never as liberating as we anticipate. We shuffle back and forth between boredom and anxiety."
I haven't been in love. Or at least I don't think I have been. I've definitely never kissed anyone, but I can understand where Siva (the speaker of the second quote) is coming from.
Blah, there's so much I could say about this, but typing up my thoughts just isn't working for me today. I want to speak my mind -_- Grr... I'll just stick to tat tvam asi.
I want to have a copy of this book for myself. Maybe I'll go look for it the next time I'm in a bookstore.
Oh yeah, there's a math problem in the book that Rudy asks his son-in-law to solve: "If the bisectors of two angles of a triangle are equal in length, prove the triangle is isosceles."
I can't figure out myself haha. I might work on it at a later time for fun. Need to get my math knowledge back. Anyway, in the book, TJ, the son-in-law, tries to prove this by reductio ad absurdum. I'm not sure I actually understand how that proof works, but the book explains it as not proving something true but as proving everything else false. Again, I don't know how that works with the triangle problem haha.
It's a cool brain teaser though :P
Anyway, yes, this was an interesting novel. I will look for my own copy.
The library copy's spine is broken D: I didn't break it! It was already messed up.
Oh, and for the words I didn't explain, you can google them haha.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment