So I managed to get up at 7 this morning. Did my morning routine. Read. Showered. Ate. Spent three hours reading the first half of Philosophy Made Simple by Robert Hellenga. I borrowed this book from the MLK the day I sold my Ethics book. Had no idea what it was about except that it had to do with philosophers.
I had a difficult time getting interested in the reading, but after I got past the first chapter, I was quite engrossed in the novel. The story consists of memories, avocados, contemplative thoughts, an elephant named Norma Jean (or Narmada-Jai), and preparations for a wedding. Well, that's as far as I've gotten as of now.
I think I've already said this before, but I read novels for the plot rather than for the underlying meaning, the allusions, the English-classroom stuff. I'm sure I think about that stuff sometimes, but it's not my intention nor do I care to make it my goal.
Anyway, at the end of the chapter titled "Last Will & Testament," the main character Rudy remembers trying to listen in on his wife recording her final words on tapes (I don't know what kinda tapes people used back in the 1950s haha). Nine years later, he still has the tapes in his desk. Why? Who knows why? The tapes are blank. The tape recorder malfunctioned. Blank tapes. He still keeps them.
I don't know how I would feel if that happened to me. Not being able to listen to your loved one's final words. Waiting for the truth. Having the tapes but not having the words. You get to wondering what she said before she died. I'm not sure if I could take that. I probably would keep the tapes too, though.
I've only read half the book, but it's already got me thinking a lot XP Not sure I have the words to describe how this novel makes me think haha. Just know I like it.
Oh yeah, so the book doesn't go into great detail about different philosophies. It is a novel, after all. But I feel like I'm learning a lot from it anyway.
This song brings back memories... This came out when I was in the seventh grade. Brother got his Integra. His friend gave him a mix CD that had this song on it. Brother would bump this track every time we went somewhere. Movies, Nancy's house, school, everywhere. We sang along and talked about how good this song was.
It's been like six years since I've heard this song. Brother played it less and less when I was a freshman in high school. The only reason I listened to this song again was because it was in the recommended section on YouTube. I saw the music artist names and thought they sounded familiar. I'm glad I watch the recommended videos haha.
Despite being a sad song, this song will always bring back good memories. Back when things were all right. Not much shit went down yet. Brother was a high school senior, then a college freshman. There was trouble but not too much yet. I was blissfully ignorant of things, of everything that was building up. Just enjoying the fact that I had friends and family around. Brother and I got along well enough. It felt like we went to the movies together every month then.
Pretty good stuff. I didn't think I would like the song when it first came out. But I'm always finding myself singing along to this song. And is it me, or does Ray J look rounder than he did a couple years ago? :P Anyway, loving the beat, the melody, and the lyrics haha. Video's not bad.
Robotic girlfriend. I'm not gonna say much about this, except "how sad." We can't connect with each other, so we have to make robots to substitute in the connections. Who knows? Maybe when the technology is perfected, it will reduce the allure of prostitutes :P haha. Ah, we're becoming waayyy too dependent on technology. A sad progress.
Also, it seems that my friends and I will be watching "Avenue Q" on Saturday. Need to confirm details with everyone and then call Brian L to buy the tickets. That's if his friends haven't already bought the tickets and if they're willing to get the cheap tickets 'cause we, as broke college kids, cannot afford $75- or even $46-seats XP haha. As much as I want to see "Avenue Q" up close, I do not think it's worth it haha. I'm just going for the story and the numbers :P
You know, I think I'm doing well with my resolutions for the most part. Haven't been keeping up with everything, but I'm trying XP Just need to take my time and build up. Anyway, back to reading and staying off the computer haha.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment