Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Do animals have rights?

Better question: Do nonhuman animals have the same rights as humans?

Ideally, I would say yes and provide you with great evidence to back up my point. But I'm not ideal. Read Peter Singer's arguments, good stuff.

I like to think nonhuman animals are equal to humans. After all, humans are animals too. We're just too arrogant to think that we're on the same level as other animals :P

Singer says that humans are specieists (much like racist). I agree. Humans exalt human beings, look down on other animals. Why? Because we have more "control," rationale, and opposable thumbs.

If you had to choose between saving a dog and saving another human being, who would you save? No, you can't save both. Apparently, we would save the human because we would always place a higher value on the person's life rather than the dog's.

I don't think it's that simple. I think it's situational. I mean, would you rather save a drug dealer or a see-eye dog? Of course, if you didn't know anything about either, you probably would save the human. You're more "connected" to the human being. But that's biased. Then again, we're all biased.

On a similar note, eating meat is eating flesh, as Prof Giddings so puts it. It's true. If you eat meat, you are eating flesh, mainly muscles. That sounds disgusting, doesn't it?

If you eat animals, you basically take away their right to life. You cannot say that animals do not have a right to life. If they're alive, they pretty much have that right.

But we're all a part of the food chain. So maybe that right is conditional. But wouldn't that mean our (human) right to life is also conditional? We are a part of the food chain as well. Though, I've heard we're not all that tasty. Of course, I've never asked a human cannibal. Maybe I will one day.

Anyway, if we are a part of the food chain and we eat other animals, why do we get so bothered when we hear of humans being eaten? It's a part of nature, yeah? Just accept it. But no, instead, we euthanize the "offender." Self-preservation, I guess.

Mm, well, that's all I'm gonna say about that :P


So, today, I chilled with Harrison C for a little bit in the MLK library. Harrison is a guy I met on the light rail last Tuesday, though apparently I signed his yearbook when we were still at Bernal. It was weird. I didn't remember his face, but I kinda recognized his name.
The guy remembered me when he saw me on the light rail haha. Amy and Christine were there to witness this scene.

Since we met last week, we've been messaging each other on Facebook, but yeah we chilled today haha. Strange. I usually don't hang out with people I don't know. Last time I really did that was the summer before sophomore year, meeting Rose and the guys.

Anyway, we had an interesting/strange conversation in the library before I went to the QTIP meeting. The guy is really random, quirky, cool. He wants to play on the Monopoly board downtown. I think I said I would play with him haha. Just a random guy, but I feel like this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship haha. I usually don't make friends so randomly, but it's nice, a change from the routine.


Hmm, QTIP meeting. Announcements about different events: Coming Out Week, Ally Games and Workshop, Legacy Week, Safe and Green Halloween (@ Fisher Middle School), Wiggsy Silverstein Scholarship, Rocky Horror, Students for Quality Education stuff, CATT. That's all I can remember. Doesn't really mean much to you, but oh well, you can google this stuff haha.

Mm, what else? Oh, Christina D is gonna give me a ride to Game Night :D Yay, I don't have to waste gas and shit haha. Seriously, the Avalon is starting to have a lot of problems. Man, right when I get the car. Not that it matters much, since Mother won't let me have the car to myself.


Hmm, still have four midterms left. Phil midterm next week. Yay. Also, dance midterm pushed back two weeks to the 28th, whew.


Ahh, don't you just love have my entries aren't usually organized well? haha. And damn, I'm falling behind on homework again D: I'm such a terrible student.

Oh, I've been thinking about majors too. Industrial Design is at the top of the very short list for now. I don't really know what I wanna do, but ID seems interesting enough. Not sure I can get the aesthetic part down though. Other possibilities: criminology, criminal justice, forensic science with a concentration in biology, architecture. Maybe library sciences :D haha. I also kinda like the idea of becoming an EMT or paramedic.

All interesting stuff, I just don't know if I can stick with school long enough to get a suitable degree.

And no, I'm definitely not considering English haha. No matter how much people tell me I should. I just don't like it.


In totally unrelated and unimportant news, today, I found out that John and Angela H are dating haha. That's surprising because I didn't think they knew each other very well.

But anyway, I'm done now.

Oh, btw, you should listen to Deadmau5 if you like house music. For now, I'm loving "Creep." Brother's favorite is "Alone with You." Yeah, a lil random, I know, but I'm listening to his music right now, and it's just that damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment